Flagstaff/Payson
Went to Flagstaff Saturday morning and rode with some homies. From the top of Schultz Creek we rode up Brookbank to the CatWalk and hung out for a bit. What a climb....driving straight up and riding in the thin air is a lung buster. But good for ya....
We turned around and headed down Wasabi which is steep and loose. Pretty much a full on downhill trail be we soldiered on on our trail bikes. It was sweet! My new bike is the best ever!! It climbs, jumps, pedals, and is great on gnarly downhill trails. Something I discovered this weekend for sure. So, we head down Wasabi and enjoyed the new improvements to the upper part of the trail. Down the second half was steep and loose off the get go then twisty an turny thru the Mt. Elden woods. Back to the road we crusied down to Lower Oldham and checked out the exit of Steel Reserve. A 50foot steep as heck rock ride. We motor'd on and met up with Mike D and his buddy "Boy". We decided to load up in the back of his truck and do a coupla shuttles. Wasabi again...WHOOOO!!! Then we decided to do somthin craze and hit up Steel Reserve. Now, normally you would need a full on Downhill Bike for a trail with such gnarlitude but we were feeling great and decided to hit it up. Crosscountry helmets, trail bikes, and zero pads...we ventured on and got it done like champs! That was sooo much fun! I love my new bike....I really do.....
Off to town for burritos and beer then back to camp. Driving up Schultz Pass Road in the dark listenin to SLAYER eatin cereal put me in a moment of clarity...I'm in love with mountains and trips like these....I could do it every day if I had too....
Sunday I had a meeting planned with some dudes in Payson. I was supposed to meet them at 8:30 but didn't get my camp packed up till around 7:30. I drove down Schultz thru the brisk morning air catching site after site of the trail on my left. Shaded and pretty it was...cut into the mini valley all the way to the bottom. Ah.....how sweet it was. Fuled up and headed on down the highway listenin to Neko Case. I turned off at the 260 and drove thru the Verde Valley where the trees are green and moisture gathers to keep em that way. Then thru the interesting little town of Strawberry. I looked for the historic Strawberry School but couldn't find it...owell...keep on truckin. It was a beautiful drive but I was a bit nervous and unsure of what kind of torturous ride I was up for in Payson. Once in Payson the temp was around 90 and I started to get a bit scared. I had an advantage though as the elevation was 3,500 feet less then Flagstaff and my lungs were ready...or so I hoped. I pulled in at the Rodeo Grounds where there was and actual rodeo happenin and met the dudes. This trail we rode was a pre-cursor for a 24hour race that I will be "trying" to do with these guys next weekend. We rode the trail and it wasn't too difficult except for an extended climb and the 95+ temps. These dudes were pedalin though and it was hard for me to keep up. I not in too great of shape for the climbs and the fast cadance these dudes are used to. I SMOKED EM on the down hill though.....as they picked they're way thru the rocks I hollered "Passin you on your right!" and just mashed thru all the rough stuff they were trying to avoid. On the first down I passed them all and had to wait for them for a few at the T. I started getting excited then....maybe i'm not such a shit bag? Hmmm....WRONG! All the pedalin I did racin down caught up with me as my heart was about to pound outta my chest when the climbs started....I called myself an idiot numerous times. But, I climbed, I pedaled, climbed somemore, and finished only 10seconds er so behind everyone. Not bad for a dh dogger hangin with these middle aged cross country freaks. Next week I will be expected to do the 10mile loop once every three hours for 24hrs. I'm scared....but, it should be a good test of endurance. I'll keep it posted and should have some pics of me either riding, sleeping, puking my guts out, or smiling deliriously. May God have mercy on my soul....
Tuneage
Neko Case - Momentum
John Prine - Killin the Blues
Aberdeen City - Lost in Combat
D.I. - Richard Hung Himself
Fifteen - Lucky
And now it's that time of the show folks for Shout Outs, Wassups, and Piss Offs
Shout Outs
Dr. Rizzo - Fix me up
Steel Reserve - Thank you for having mercy on me and my enduro...
Flagstaff - Awesome
Mike and Hari - My new riding buddies...
Elevation - fill my lungs
Schultz Creek Campsite - rent free baby
Wassups
Matthew - keep on truckin guy - sup
24hour ride - you gonna off me? Sup?
Black Bean Buritto - Your awesome...sup?
That dude solo campin with no bike and no vehicle - sup?
Piss Offs
Beer belly - PISS OFF!
Krispy Creme - Piss off
Too much sleep - piss off
We turned around and headed down Wasabi which is steep and loose. Pretty much a full on downhill trail be we soldiered on on our trail bikes. It was sweet! My new bike is the best ever!! It climbs, jumps, pedals, and is great on gnarly downhill trails. Something I discovered this weekend for sure. So, we head down Wasabi and enjoyed the new improvements to the upper part of the trail. Down the second half was steep and loose off the get go then twisty an turny thru the Mt. Elden woods. Back to the road we crusied down to Lower Oldham and checked out the exit of Steel Reserve. A 50foot steep as heck rock ride. We motor'd on and met up with Mike D and his buddy "Boy". We decided to load up in the back of his truck and do a coupla shuttles. Wasabi again...WHOOOO!!! Then we decided to do somthin craze and hit up Steel Reserve. Now, normally you would need a full on Downhill Bike for a trail with such gnarlitude but we were feeling great and decided to hit it up. Crosscountry helmets, trail bikes, and zero pads...we ventured on and got it done like champs! That was sooo much fun! I love my new bike....I really do.....
Off to town for burritos and beer then back to camp. Driving up Schultz Pass Road in the dark listenin to SLAYER eatin cereal put me in a moment of clarity...I'm in love with mountains and trips like these....I could do it every day if I had too....
Sunday I had a meeting planned with some dudes in Payson. I was supposed to meet them at 8:30 but didn't get my camp packed up till around 7:30. I drove down Schultz thru the brisk morning air catching site after site of the trail on my left. Shaded and pretty it was...cut into the mini valley all the way to the bottom. Ah.....how sweet it was. Fuled up and headed on down the highway listenin to Neko Case. I turned off at the 260 and drove thru the Verde Valley where the trees are green and moisture gathers to keep em that way. Then thru the interesting little town of Strawberry. I looked for the historic Strawberry School but couldn't find it...owell...keep on truckin. It was a beautiful drive but I was a bit nervous and unsure of what kind of torturous ride I was up for in Payson. Once in Payson the temp was around 90 and I started to get a bit scared. I had an advantage though as the elevation was 3,500 feet less then Flagstaff and my lungs were ready...or so I hoped. I pulled in at the Rodeo Grounds where there was and actual rodeo happenin and met the dudes. This trail we rode was a pre-cursor for a 24hour race that I will be "trying" to do with these guys next weekend. We rode the trail and it wasn't too difficult except for an extended climb and the 95+ temps. These dudes were pedalin though and it was hard for me to keep up. I not in too great of shape for the climbs and the fast cadance these dudes are used to. I SMOKED EM on the down hill though.....as they picked they're way thru the rocks I hollered "Passin you on your right!" and just mashed thru all the rough stuff they were trying to avoid. On the first down I passed them all and had to wait for them for a few at the T. I started getting excited then....maybe i'm not such a shit bag? Hmmm....WRONG! All the pedalin I did racin down caught up with me as my heart was about to pound outta my chest when the climbs started....I called myself an idiot numerous times. But, I climbed, I pedaled, climbed somemore, and finished only 10seconds er so behind everyone. Not bad for a dh dogger hangin with these middle aged cross country freaks. Next week I will be expected to do the 10mile loop once every three hours for 24hrs. I'm scared....but, it should be a good test of endurance. I'll keep it posted and should have some pics of me either riding, sleeping, puking my guts out, or smiling deliriously. May God have mercy on my soul....
Tuneage
Neko Case - Momentum
John Prine - Killin the Blues
Aberdeen City - Lost in Combat
D.I. - Richard Hung Himself
Fifteen - Lucky
And now it's that time of the show folks for Shout Outs, Wassups, and Piss Offs
Shout Outs
Dr. Rizzo - Fix me up
Steel Reserve - Thank you for having mercy on me and my enduro...
Flagstaff - Awesome
Mike and Hari - My new riding buddies...
Elevation - fill my lungs
Schultz Creek Campsite - rent free baby
Wassups
Matthew - keep on truckin guy - sup
24hour ride - you gonna off me? Sup?
Black Bean Buritto - Your awesome...sup?
That dude solo campin with no bike and no vehicle - sup?
Piss Offs
Beer belly - PISS OFF!
Krispy Creme - Piss off
Too much sleep - piss off

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home